Saturday, January 22, 2011

If I Listen With My Heart Sign Language

I have a really good friend in the ward who uses ASL at home and professionally.  She very kindly came over and went through the song with me.  She wrote down all the signs for me and then I turned on the music, aimed the camera at myself and did this.  It's the most awful video I have made (and I look pretty terrible too).  We've had someone sick in the house for the last few weeks, eventually I'll replace this with something not so hard on the eyes.  I'm not singing here, my throat was way too sore on the day I did this.  We only did the first verse, as I am going to use a soloist for the 2nd and 3rd verses.  The last two signs I repeated a few times, I hadn't gotten the timing right and I was practicing them.  You only have to do each sign once.

The signs in order go like this:

If I had been a little child when Jesus lived on earth
earth - Jesus - lived - if - I - became - child
I Would have liked to walk with Him and listen to His words
what do - walk with him - Jesus - gospel - me - listen
But as I search the scriptures I can hear His words of peace
scriptures - learn - Jesus - peace - I - understand
If I listen with my heart I hear the Savior's voice.
Pay attention - feel - spirit - inspiration

6 comments:

  1. THIS. IS. FABULOUS. Thanks so much for sharing it! And you don't look terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just found your website. What is your choose and review apron? Are those patches pockets? I was just wondering! My email is garner.brittany@gmail.com So if you could email me how you use it and how you made it I would appreciate it! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this song is a really good fit for ASL. I wish I were more comfortable with it. I appreciate your demonstration. Why didn't I think of a soloist!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are awesome, thank you so much for putting that up! The kids are so excited to learn it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I make a few improvements before you teach this to your kids? just so the signs are more clear? I am the wife of a Deaf husband and have been signing for years and and the chorister in our Deaf Branch.

    To sign "become" your fingers sould be touching and you flip, like turning a pancake, once. They you signed it, it looks like "cheese". The same with peaceful (which is a mix of the signs 'become' and 'quiet/reverence').

    Thanks for involving Sign Language!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so embarrassing! Cheese! I have improved since I started doing this. I made a video of Melissa doing it and then I tried to copy it with music since she wouldn't let me put her on my blog. I suppose it's time for a new video. Aaaargh! Cheese!

    ReplyDelete