Sunday, January 16, 2011

Review Day for If I Listen With My Heart

I have been teaching "If I Listen With My Heart" with sign language.  I'm not doing it as detailed as last year, but it's still a lot of work for the kids.  There are some new teachers and kids in the primary and so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to use one of my favorite activities - snipping ties off of unsuspecting men in the ward.  I asked the missionaries a few days prior if they would please wear ties I provided and then use them in the activity.  I get old ties, or pick them up at the thrift store.  (These came from D.I., my favorite place).  I pulled them out of my bag and my husband asked where I had gotten these awful ties.  The uglier the better.
The missionaries put the ties on and graciously joined us about halfway through singing time.  I let them decide how well the kids sang the song, and then cut their companions tie.  They each cut about halfway and then we sang again.  One of the little boys sang so well I let him cut a missionaries tie.  He was so proud that he had out sung the older boys.  It was a lot of fun, and a great way to review the song by singing over and over.






At the end I had the missionaries pick a song to sing and we sang with them.  I had the missionaries conduct too.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for all your time and effort you put into your blog. I am new to the calling, only about 2 months now and am doing much better with your help. I also wanted to do sign language for If I Listen With My heart, but don't know where to find it, could you help me once more! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to teach this song with sign language but can't find it...where did you? Please help...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally don't get the concept of cutting the tie. Was it, if they sing well, the tie gets cut once and then again if they sing well. I just wanted some clarification, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It goes something like this: the kids sing, if they sing mediocre cut the tie low, if they sing good, cut the tie about halfway and if they sing great cut it off at the knot. Sometimes it takes them 3 tries to sing well enough to cut the tie at the knot. It's a way to motivate them to pay attention, sing out, and try to remember the words.

    ReplyDelete