Sunday, August 14, 2011

Getting ready for the program

Including this week, our primary has four Sunday's before the program.  Instead of doing one singing meter for the whole period of time, we're doing something different every week.  I pulled out my Nephite and as the kids passed off a song, we put an article of clothing on him.  We had two songs they didn't pass off and so they will be working on those next week.  It still amazes me how they sing some with such enthusiasm and others hardly at all. 

4 comments:

  1. Do you have clipart or a pdf of this Nephite? He's great! Hilary - bhandies@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am interested in the clipart where might I find it? annaleetillman@gmail.com

    I love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Nephite clip art came from a book called "Super Singing Activities". It is also available on CD. It's by Mary H. Ross and Jennette Guymon-King. You should be able to get it from Deseret Book online or in a store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only have a couple of kids that just won't sing for me and I truly believe that it is because of other issues in their lives: possibly family stuff or "just" self-esteem. I think the best (only?) thing to do is just to try and develop a personal relationship with each child - see what makes them tick. If they know you love them, they will do things for you that they would not do for anyone else. I use a ton of eye contact and sometimes say their names but I try not to put them on the spot too much, even when they are singing. I just quietly let them know that it makes me happy to see them singing. It also helps if you can get their teachers to be actively involved: quietly praising and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete